Rats of TobrukPrint Page
This monument is a replica of the one built by 9th Division Engineers in the Tobruk Cemetery in North Africa. It is dedicated to both those men who died during the Siege of Tobruk between April and December 1941 and those who returned and have since died.
The Siege of Tobruk was a confrontation that lasted 241 days between Axis and Allied forces in North Africa during the Western Desert Campaign of World War Two. The siege started on 10 April 1941, when Tobruk was attacked by an Italo–German force under Lieutenant General Erwin Rommel and continued for 241 days up to 27 November 1941, when it was relieved by the Allied 8th Army during Operation Crusader.
The “Rats of Tobruk” was the name given to the soldiers of the garrison who held the Libyan port of Tobruk against the Afrika Corps during the Siege.
The garrison, commanded by Lieutenant General Leslie Morshead, consisted of the 9th Australian Division (20th, 24th, and 26th Brigades), the 18th Brigade of the 7th Australian Division, four regiments of British artillery and some Indian troops.
|Address:||Albert & Alma Streets, Jeffries Park, Rockhampton, 4700|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -23.372651|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Event STart Date:||03-September-1939|
|Actual Event End Date:||15-August-1945|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Friday 15th August, 1997|
They shall not grow old
As we thar are left grow old
Age shall not weary them
Nor the years condemn
At the going down of the sun
And in the morning
We will remember them
RATS OF TOBRUK MEMORIAL