50th Anniversary of the End of World War TwoPrint Page
A sign commemorates the 50th anniversary of the end of World War Two.
In July 1941 Lowood district was selected for the establishment of No. 12 Elementary Flying Training School and 640 acres at Mt Tarampa were acquired by the Australian Government for £4,400. In 1942 the facility was upgraded to an operational base and intelligence centre to monitor and prevent Japanese activities in the region. The complex comprised 138 individual installations of buildings and bunkers, including an armoury, workshops, photographic unit, post office, living quarters, mess huts, theatre, radar hut and tennis courts.
There was accommodation for up to 540 personnel, later increased to about 700. In 1943 two barracks were converted for use by the Women's Auxiliary Australian Air Force (WAAAF).Between 1942 and 1945 five RAAF aircraft from Lowood crashed during exercises with the loss of at least 12 crew. Two Ansons crashed during patrols in 1943 with the loss of their crews.
|Address:||Daisy & Forest Hill- Fernvale Roads, Mount Tarampa, 4311|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -27.466538|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Event STart Date:||03-September-1939|
|Actual Event End Date:||15-August-1945|
50th Anniversary of the End of World War Two
The Lowood Airfield was constructed in 1941 as a training base and by 1942 was an important operational base. the complex comprised of 138 individual buildings and sports facilities. The Airbase was a vital communications intelligence centre for allied troops in Asia. The 23 "City of Brisbane" Squadron was the main unit serving there.