United States 1st Cavalry Division MemorialPrint Page
Plaque commemorates those who served with the United States 1st Cavalry Division who built Camp Strathpine during World War Two.
The 1st Cavalry Division, United States Army arrived at Camp Strathpine in July 1943. After some jungle and amphibious training at Toorbul Point north of Brisbane and Port Stephens in northern New South Wales they left Camp Strathpine for New Guinea in December 1943. The 1st Cavalry Division comprised 15,000 men so the tiny locality of Pine Rivers which comprised a population of approximately 4,800 people was totally overwhelmed by the arrival of the Americans
|Address:||Vores Road , McGavin View, Harrison Pocket, Whiteside, 4503|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -27.262152|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Sunday 1st May, 1988|