105th General Hospital Harvard Medical School, U.S.A.Print Page
Plaque commemorates the occupation of the 105th General Hospital Harvard Medical School, U.S.A. at Gatton College from 1942 to 1944 during World War Two.
In March 1942 the 153rd Station Hospital, the first operational United States Army Hospital in Australia, was established at the Gatton Campus. Colonel John Marshall was Chief Surgeon of the 153rd Station Hospital, the unit first posted here between 15 March and July 1942. Lt. Col. Raymond O. Dart was the first Commander of the 105th General Hospital.
When this unit departed for Port Moresby in July 1942, the facility was transferred to the US Army 105th General Hospital, which operated as the main hospital for the South West Pacific region for the next 2 years of the war.
Over 20,000 patients were sent to the 105th from throughout the Pacific. Patients from this theatre of war were treated for all war related wounds and psychological problems.
|Address:||Gatton-Laidley Road, Gatton Agricultural College, Gatton, 4343|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -27.556155|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
This Plaque Commemorates The Occupation Of
The Queensland Agricultural College By The
105th General Hospital Harvard Medical School USA.
July 1942 - July 1944