All Souls Anglican Camp SchoolPrint Page
Memorial with an honour roll commemorates the site of the school during World War Two.
In 1942 with Singapore fallen, Darwin bombed and Australia facing invasion, All Souls’ Anglican School in Charters Towers moved into the bush on a riverbank and in a remarkable educational feat continued to operate there for a year in tents and tin sheds. The permanent school, on the town’s outskirts, had been requisitioned as a military hospital so headmaster Robert (‘Bidgee’) Mills evacuated the 22 staff and 172 students 50 kilometres north to a patch of the Burdekin River on Gainsford Station where All Souls’ not only survived but thrived. By year’s end 186 students had passed through the camp school.
|Address:||Gregory Developmental Road, 50km N of Charters Towers, Gainsford, 4702|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -19.813333|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Saturday 10th October, 2009|