Elliott Heads Coastwatchers MemorialPrint Page
Monument commemorates members of the Volunteer Defence Corp who manned Elliott Heads Lookout during World War Two.
The Volunteer Defence Corps (VDC) was an Australian part-time volunteer military force of World War II modelled on the British Home Guard. The VDC was established in July 1940 by the Returned and Services League of Australia (RSL) and was initially composed of ex-servicemen who had served in World War One.
Following the outbreak of the Pacific War, the Government expanded the VDC in February 1942. Membership was open to men aged between 18 and 60, including those working in reserved occupations. As a result, the VDC reached a peak strength of almost 100,000 in units across Australia.
As the perceived threat to Australia declined the VDC's role changed from static defence to operating anti-aircraft artillery, coastal artillery and searchlights.
|Address:||The Esplanade, Submarine Lookout, Elliott Heads, 4670|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -24.916513|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Event Start Date:||1941|
|Approx. Event End Date:||1944|
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||1989|
TO THE MEMORY OF
THOSE MEMBERS OF THE
VOLUNTEER DEFENCE CORPS
WHO MANNED THE ELLIOTT HEADS
LOOKOUT DURING WORLD WAR II
ERECTED BY THE WOONGARRA