Australian Army Medical Corps & Brigadier Fairley MemorialPrint Page
The Australian Army Medical Corps and Brigadier Fairley Memorial commemorates the work of the Medical Corps and Brigadier Fairley during World War Two. The memorial was relocated to the site in 1995.
In 1942 the New Guinea campaign necessitated extensive research on malaria control and Brigadier Fairley, Director of Medicine for the Australian Military Forces co-opted the people needed for a large-scale study. The research teams tested drugs on 800 army volunteers, developed a repellent, an aerial swamp spraying method and discovered fish predators of the mosquito larvae. Up until 1943 in some campaigns three times as many men contracted malaria as were killed or wounded.
|Address:||381 Sheridan Street, Cairns, 4870|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -16.902548|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Event STart Date:||03-September-1939|
|Actual Event End Date:||15-August-1945|
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||1972|
THIS MEMORIAL COMMEMORATES THE GREAT WORK OF
BRIGADIER SIR NEIL HAMILTON FAIRLEY, KBE, FRS, AND HIS DEVOTED TEAM OF OFFICERS, MEN AND WOMEN OF THE AUSTRALIAN ARMY MEDICAL CORPS, AND THE ARMY VOLUNTEERS WHO MADE THE WORK POSSIBLE.
THEIR STUDIES AT THE LHQ MEDICAL RESEARCH UNIT, AIF, CAIRNS, FROM 1943 TO 1946 PROVIDED A SCIENTIFIC
BASIS FOR THE CONTROL OF MALARIA BY DRUGS, WHICH HAS PROVED OF IMMENSE IMPORTANCE TO AUSTRALIA AND TO THE WORLD IN WAR AND PEACE.
ERECTED BY THE AUSTRALIAN ARMY IN ASSOCIATION WITH HIS CO-WORKERS AND FRIENDS