42nd Battalion (Capricornia Regiment)Print Page
A plaque commemorates those of the 42nd Battalion (Capricornia Regiment) who paid the supreme sacrifice during World War Two.
The 42nd Battalion Plaque was unveiled in the Anzac Square Crypt by the Governor of Queensland, Sir John Lavarack on the 7th November 1954. The 42nd Battalion was the first unit to enter Salamua in the drive against the Japanese in New Guinea. Present at the unveiling ceremony were 11 representatives of the Association's headquarters in Rockhampton and 5 members from the Gladstone sub-branch.
Morning Bulletin (Rockhampton), 2nd & 4th November 1954.
After the First World War the defence of the Australian mainland lay with the part-time soldiers of the Citizens Military Force, also known as the Militia. The Militia was organized to maintain the structure of the First AIF and kept the same numerical designations. The Militia units were distributed in the same areas the original AIF units were raised. Consequently, Militia units were also known by the name of their shire. Thus, Queensland’s 42nd Infantry Battalion was the “Capricornia Regiment”, with training centres in Rockhampton, Mt Morgan, and, for a while, Gladstone and Mackay. The unit also drew men from Sarina, Carmila, and Yeppoon.
|Address:||Ann Street, ANZAC Square, Shrine of Remembrance Crypt, Brisbane, 4000|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -27.466428|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Event STart Date:||03-September-1939|
|Actual Event End Date:||15-August-1945|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Sunday 7th November, 1954|
IN HONOUR OF
1939 - 1945