61st Battalion (Queensland Cameron Highlanders)Print Page
The memorial consists of the reclaimed former Stewart Place tram shelter, and houses the tributes, history and memories of the 61st Battalion Queensland Cameron Highlanders between 1938 and 1946.
In 1937 with tensions growing in Europe, it was decided to raise a new infantry battalion in the Brisbane - Ipswich area. The local Scottish community, who wanted Queensland to have its own Scottish regiment, lobbied for the newly raised 61st Infantry Battalion to be linked with a Highland regiment. In 1939 the 61st was linked with the Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders and became the Queensland Cameron Highlanders. A militia unit commanded by Colonel John Grant MC VD of Ashgrove with its own kilted uniform and Pipes and Drums, it was well trained and highly regarded.
After the declaration of the Second World War the battalion frequently held training camps at Redbank and Chermside lasting 70 to 90 days. During 1940, the 61st Battalion was called-up and the battalion joined the rest of the 7th Brigade (comprising the 9th/49th and 15th Battalions) at Chermside, a northern suburb of Brisbane. In 1942 the 61st Battalion played a leading role in the Battle of Milne Bay, New Guinea.
|Address:||Waterworks Road & Stewart Place, Ashgrove, 4060|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -27.445614|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Sunday 15th November, 2009|
LEST WE FORGET
THEIR SERVICE OUR HERITAGE