"Nothing Sacred"Print Page Print this page

The Northern Territory Republican Movement installed a plaque and a small enclosure on the sixtieth anniversary of the crash of "Nothing Sacred".

The wreckage of the Ünited States Army Air Force (U.S.A.A.F.) B24D "Nothing Sacred" is one of over 100 sites in the Northern Territory illustrating the tragedy and loss of life typical of World War Two. The site represents the military alliance with the United States and underscores the sacrifices made by US servicemen in the defence of Australia. The remains of the wreck of the “Nothing Sacred” B-24D Liberator are significant as a tangible reminder of the air war conducted against the Japanese during World War Two from Australia. It is also a tangible link to the association the 380th Bomb Group had in Australia and the specific role that it played in the war.

The B-24 Liberator #42-40509 (D-65-CO), "Nothing Sacred", of the 529 Bomb Squadron, 380th Bomb Group, 5th Air Force, crashed into Sugar Loaf Hill, 3 miles from Fenton airfield in the Northern Territory south east of Darwin on 21 September 1943 when approaching for a landing at night time. The aircraft was flown by the Parris crew from the 530th Bomb Squadron. The crew of ten were all killed. The only survivor was an extra passenger, a photographer.

Note : As at 27 July 2014, this site is now closed to public access.   It is on private land, and is used for cattle grazing. However, a few years ago some campers decided to spend the night at the airfield and their campfire got out of hand, leading to the death of several animals.  Hence, all of the external signage has been taken down, and the former access road is now gated and padlocked. 


Address:Via Douglas Hot Springs Road, Site of crash near Fenton Airfield, Hayes Creek, 0822
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -13.636352
Long: 131.30594
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Conflict
Actual Event STart Date:03-September-1939
Actual Event End Date:15-August-1945


Actual Monument Dedication Date:Sunday 21st September, 2003
Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design