460 Squadron Print Page
Grove of trees and plaque commemorates those who served in 460 Squadron Royal Australian Air Force (R.A.A.F) during World War Two.
460 Squadron achieved many milestones in Australian military history. It sent more Lancaster bombers on operations and dropped a greater tonnage of bombs than any other squadron in Bomber Command during World War Two. These milestones were achieved at great cost. Of the 3,500 Australians who died in Bomber Command, 589 of them were members of 460 squadron.
|Address:||Kings Park Road, Kings Park & Botanic Garden, Kings Park , 6005|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -31.952945|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Event STart Date:||15-November-1941|
|Actual Event End Date:||15-August-1945|
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||March-1992|
460 SQUADRON (R.A.A.F.) ASSOCIATION
The adjacent grove of trees and this plaque commemorates the Squadron`s Lancaster and Wellington bomber crew members who lost their lives in operations over Europe during the 1939 - 1945 World War
460 Squadron was formed on the 15th November 1941 and carried out its first operations on the 12th March 1942
The planting of the trees and placement of this plaque is also in remembrance of members who have died since the cessation of hostilities the most notable - Air Commodore Sir Hughie Edwards V.C., K.C.M.G., C.B., D.S.O., O.B.E., D.F.C., K. St. J.
- LEST WE FORGET -