2nd / 2nd Australian Commando Squadron MemorialPrint Page
A memorial commemorates the 2nd / 2nd Commando Squadron which served in World War Two.
The No 2 Independent Company, mainly made up of Western Australians, was formed in Victoria in July 1941. After training at Wilson`s Promontory and spending a brief period in Katherine the company was sent to Timor in December 1941. It served with great distinction throughout 1942 in East Timor waging a successful guerrilla campaign against a far superior Japanese force.
On its return to Australia in December 1942 the unit was reformed and as the 2/2nd Commando Squadron served again with distinction in New Guinea in 1943/44 eventually seeing out the war in New Britain in 1945.
|Address:||Lovekin Drive , Kings Park & Botanic Garden, Kings Park , 6005|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -31.960278|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Event STart Date:||03-September-1939|
|Actual Event End Date:||15-August-1945|
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||1953|
No 2 Aust. Ind. Coy 2/2 Aust. Cdo. Sqdn.
1939 - 1945
LEST WE FORGET