Dunkirk Veterans Association StandardPrint Page
A plaque commemorates the placing of the standard (flag) of the Dunkirk Veterans Association in the Soldiers Chapel to mark the 60th anniversary of the evacuation of Dunkirk.
The Dunkirk Veterans were all members of the British Expeditionary Force who, in May 1940, along with their Allies, were the first British troops to cross the border into Belgium to try and stop the German advance into France during World War Two. Under heavy siege, they fought many rearguard actions towards Dunkirk and the beaches, although completely surrounded, thus allowing some 338200 British troops and their Allies to be evacuated to Britain, where they regrouped and re-equipped to fight again in the many campaigns fought in the 1939-45 war. The Dunkirk Veterans Association was abandoned in 2000.
|Address:||Cathedral Avenue, Soldiers` Chapel, St George`s Cathedral, Perth, 6000|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -31.955556|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Event STart Date:||27-May-1940|
|Actual Event End Date:||03-June-1940|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Sunday 28th May, 2000|