Rochester Memorial HospitalPrint Page
Rochester Memorial Hospital was erected in memory of the men and women of Rochester and District who gave their lives in the Second World War. A new facility was opened in 2010 and foundation stones for the old and new building can be found at the main entrance. A memorial wall built with bricks from the original building contains plaques which commemorate the hospital and various extensions to the original building.
The Rochester and District War Memorial Hospital has a proud record of achievement and service to the residents of Rochester and district dating back to its establishment in 1952.
The official opening of the hospital by the then Premier of Victoria, the Hon.J.G. McDonald, was the culmination of eight years of planning and work by the building committee appointed by the Advance Rochester and District Association.
The sum of £27,000 was raised locally, with significant input coming from the local branch of the RSL. This substantial amount added to a government contribution of £63,000, enabling the hospital to be handed over to the Committee of Management totally debt free.
|Address:||Northern Highway & Pascoe Street, Hospital, Rochester, 3561|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -36.366514|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
WAR MEMORIAL HOSPITAL
THE PREMIER THE HONOURABLE J.C.B. McDONALD M.L.A.
LAID THIS STONE ON 10TH AUGUST 1952
THIS HOSPITAL WAS ERECTED AS A MEMORIAL
TO THE MEN AND WOMEN OF ROCHESTER DISTRICT
WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES AND SERVICES IN THE WORLD WAR
1939 - 1945
ADVANCE ROCHESTER & DISTRICT ASSOCIATION
A.E.CANNING President S.l. JOHNSTON. Vice President
T.E.COSTELLO Hon. Secretary J.M.CAREY Hon Treasurer
G.V.ADAMS A.G.FULLER L. HUMPHIES T.MULCAIR L.W.NOTT
THIS FACILITY WAS OPENED
THE HONOURABLE DANIEL ANDREWS MP. MINISTER FOR HEALTH
18 JUNE 2010
These buildings replace the original hospital that was erected on this site as a memorial to district men and women who gave their lives in the Second World War 1939 - 1945 ; and will address the delivery of health care into the future
Board of Management :
President : Mary Magennis
Vice-President : Keith Oberin
Treasurer : Tim Fulton
Members: Heather A`Cocks, Stuart McDonald, Meeuwis Boelen, Deborah Mellor, Graham Clark
(Memorial Wall )
This Memorial is dedicated to the men and women of Rochester and District who gave their lives and service during the Second World War 1939 -1945.
The original hospital on this site was dedicated to these members of our community
The local community and RSL sub branch contributed significant funds and work in kind to support the establishment of the hospital.
This memorial wall has been contructed with original bricks and hospital signage.
Lest We Forget