Darley Camp MemorialPrint Page
The Darley Camp Memorial is a rough stone cairn marking the location of the Darley military camp during the Second World War.
Darley Military Camp, about eight kilometres north-west of Bacchus Marsh, was a training camp for Australian and Allied Service personnel during the Second World War.
Established in 1940 as one of the AIF training centres the Camp had over 360 buildings including recreation huts, Post Office and 68 bed hospital. The first unit to occupy the camp was the 4000 members of the 4th Infantry Training Brigade. The U.S. Marines, colonial troops from the Dutch East Indies, The Australian Army Medical Women's Service, U.S. Air Corps, the Australian Women's Army Service, The Provost Training School (Military Police) and the School of Army Surveyors all occupied the Camp at different times. Each training unit was under separate command. Training lasted six weeks.
|Address:||Camerons Road, Darley, 3340|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -37.633161|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Event STart Date:||03-September-1939|
|Actual Event End Date:||15-August-1945|
THIS PLAQUE RECOGNIZES
THE LOCATION OF A MILITARY CAMP
ESTABLISHED DURING WORLD WAR 2.
AUSTRALIAN AND ALLIED MILITARY UNITS
WHERE STATIONED AT THIS CAMP.
"THE DARLEY CAMP"