H.M.A.S. WaggaPrint Page
Anchor Memorial erected by the City of Wagga Wagga to honour the active service of HMAS Wagga Corvette J315 (1942 -1962) of the Royal Australian Navy during World War Two. The Anchor was donated by the Port of Melbourne Authority and unveiled on 23 April 1995.
HMAS Wagga (J315), named after the city of Wagga Wagga was one of 60 Bathurst class corvettes constructed during World War Two, and one of 36 initially manned and commissioned solely by the Royal Australian Navy (RAN). During the war, the ship operated primarily in New Guinea waters.
|Address:||Baylis Street, Victory Memorial Gardens, Wagga Wagga, 2650|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -35.109444|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Event STart Date:||03-September-1939|
|Actual Event End Date:||15-August-1945|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Sunday 23rd April, 1995|
The City Of Wagga Wagga
The Service Of HMAS Wagga
Anchor Donated By
Port Of Melbourne Authority
Unveiled on 23rd April 1995.
Commemoration Of Active Service
During The 1939-1945 World War Of
Corvette J315 Of The Royal Australian Navy
Commissioned In December 1942 And Served With
Distinction Until November 1945
In The Coral Sea, New Guinea, the South Pacific
And Hong Kong,
Milne Bay, Philippines, Balikpapen,
Lae, Finschhafen Admiralty Island Subic Bay,
Oro Bay, Biak, Morotai, Leyte,
Sansapor, Linda Straits Hong Kong.
Dedicated In Honour Of All Who Served By
The H.M.A.S Wagga Association