Australian Womens` Army ServicePrint Page
A tree commemorates the formation of the Australian Womens` Army Service.
The formation of the Australian Women's Army Service (AWAS) was authorised by the government on 13 August 1941 to "release men from certain military duties for employment in fighting units." The AWAS was the only non-medical women's service to send personnel overseas during the war; in 1944 and 1945 AWAS served in both Dutch and Australian New Guinea.
|Address:||Elizabeth Street, Hyde Park, Sydney, 2000|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -33.875443|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Event STart Date:||03-September-1939|
|Actual Event End Date:||15-August-1945|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Sunday 25th November, 1962|
WAS PLANTED AND DEDICATED
TO MARK THE FORMATION OF
THE AUSTRALIAN WOMENS` ARMY SERVICE
AUSTRALIAN MILITARY FORCES
25th NOVEMBER, 1962.