Stockton Australia Remembers PlaquePrint Page
Stockton Australia Remembers Plaque was erected to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the end of World War Two. The plaque details the beach defences around Stockton during the Second World War.
The Lion statues at the park were at an army camp in Malaya after World War Two before being moved to Singleton Army Camp. The Lions Club obtained the lions from the camp when they were no longer required.
|Address:||Wharf Crescent, Norm Bassan M.B.E. Lions Park, Stockton, 2295|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -32.919576|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Event STart Date:||03-September-1939|
|Actual Event End Date:||15-August-1945|
1945 - 1995
DURING WORLD WAR 11 BEACH DEFENCES AROUND STOCKTON CONSISTED OF MACHINE GUN EMPLACEMENTS, BARBED WIRE, SEARCHLIGHTS AND 2650 CEMENT ANTI-TANK TRAPS. THERE WERE TWO ANTI-AIRCRAFT GUN BATTERIES - "LINK" NEAR THE GOLF COURSE AND " WAVE ' BEHIND THE WAVE TRAP. THE TWO 3 POUNDER GUNS OF "DUNE" BATTERY BESIDE CORROBA OVAL , PROTECTED FORT WALLACE AND NEWCASTLE. FORT WALLACE, BUILT IN 1913, WAS REARMED IN APRIL 1939 WITH TWO 9.2 INCH GUNS. ITS ORIGINAL ARMAMENT OF TWO 6 INCH GUNS WERE REMOVED TO RABAUL. THE ARMY ALSO TOOK OVER CORROBA HALL, RAWSON PARK, AND THE "LAURELS" IN FULLERTON STREET.