Merchant Seamen Memorial- Vernon Anchors Print Page
Two impressive Admiralty pattern long shanked anchors from the sail training ship Vernon, built 1839, serve as a Sydney-based memorial to Merchant Seamen lost in action aboard ship during World War Two. Perhaps the largest of their type on public display in Australia, the anchors weigh over four and a half tons each. The anchors were recovered from shallow water off Goat Island and set up as a memorial in 1992 with the assistance of BHP.
|Address:||2 Murray Street, Australian National Maritime Museum, Pyrmont, 2009|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -33.870096|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Event STart Date:||03-September-1939|
|Actual Event End Date:||15-August-1945|
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||1992|
Vessels Lost Off
The East Coast
(list of vessels)
of all Merchant Navy seafarers who made the supreme sacrifice during World War II (one in eight Australian merchant seamen gave his life ), and in recognition of the sterling wartime contribution of seaman's women's auxiliaries.
Commissioned By The Brisbane
Seaman's Union Women's Committee.
DEDICATED TO THE MEMORY OF THE
SACRIFICES MADE BY AUSTRALIAN
AND INTERNATIONAL MERCHANT
SEAFARERS IN CONTRIBUTING TO
AUSTRALIA'S PROSPERITY AND PEACE