Volunteer Aircraft ObserversPrint Page
A plaque commemorates the 56 volunteer aircraft observers who manned the observation post from 1942 to 1945 during World War Two.
The Volunteer Air Observers Corps (VAOC) was formed on 31 December 1941 to support the Royal Australian Air Force (R.A.A.F.) by sighting and observing aircraft over Australia. It quickly established observation posts across Australia and provided information to the R.A.A.F.'s regional air control posts.
As the threat to Australia declined the VAOC's role was expanded to include coast watching, assisting Air Traffic Control and weather reporting. The VAOC was staffed by civilian volunteers and reached a peak strength of 24,000 personnel and 2,656 observation posts in 1944. After the end of the war the VAOC was reduced to a cadre in December 1945 and was disbanded on 10 April 1946.
|Address:||Great Ocean Road, , Anglesea, 3230|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -38.429003|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Event STart Date:|
|Approx. Event Start Date:||1942|
|Approx. Event End Date:||1945|
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||1997|
Remembering the 56 volunteer aircraft observers who manned this post up to 24 hours a day from 1942 to 1945.
Erected in 1997 by the Anglesea and District Historical Society