Broome RSL Allied Memorial FountainPrint Page
On 3 March 1942, without warning, Japanese fighters attacked Broome. The attack lasted no more than 20 minutes, during which time 25 Allied aircraft were destroyed and dozens of people were killed or wounded. Many victims were Dutch women and children packed into flying boats on the harbour either waiting to be unloaded and ferried ashore or waiting to depart for the southern states. Another 30 crew and passengers, mostly military personnel, were lost when an American Liberator bomber was shot down shortly after taking off. Precisely how many people died in the raid, and who they were, will never be known.
|Address:||14 Baker Street , Broome RSL , Broome, 6725|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -17.957951|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Event STart Date:||03-March-1942|
|Actual Event End Date:||03-March-1942|
|Monument Designer:||Campbell Cornish|
|Monument Manufacturer:||James Ockerby|
Allied Memorial Fountain
The rapid Japanese advance in early 1942 precipitated the evacuation of Dutch citizens from Indonesian islands. Between mid-February and 2nd March 1942 some eight thousand of these refugees passed through Broome to ultimate freedom. On the 3rd March 1942 however, aircraft of the Imperial Japanese Navy attacked Broome. This air raid cost the lives of more than 100 allies, British, Dutch and United Stated military and Dutch civilians, destroying 23 civil and military aircraft that were moored in Roebuck Bay or parked on Broome airfield.
The water flowing from the incisions in the wall of the fountain represent the flow of people from Java and other Indonesian islands to Broome. Roebuck Bay is represented by the top pool; the 23 channels allowing the water to flow to the bottom pool represent the 23 aircraft lost that day.
The bottom pool represents a sea of freedom awaiting all those people who were lucky enough to pass through Broome and beyond unhindered.
The colour is representative of the sand of Roebuck bay.
LEST WE FORGET
Construction made possible by a West Australian Government Grant
Construction James Ockerby Sculptor Campbell Cornish