Lions Club of Caloundra Memorial ParkPrint Page
The Lions Club of Caloundra Memorial Park commemorates service personnel who were stationed in the Caloundra area during World War Two. A sandstone block in a garden bed displays a plaque containing historical information about the lighthouses. To the east of the garden bed is a boulder set in a round concrete footing with a memorial plaque dedicated to World War Two servicemen attached.
For the greater part of World War Two the Royal Australian Navy set up an observation post within the grounds of the Caloundra Head Lighthouse reserve. Twenty-four hour watches were kept, and display of the light to shipping was controlled. The light was converted to 240 volt mains power in 1942 and a petrol standby engine was added. The lighthouse no longer needed to be manned, so the Coastal Artillery occupied the lightkeeper's cottage and oversaw the operation of the light.
|Address:||Caloundra Terrace & Arthur Street, Caloundra, 4551|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -26.801374|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
LIONS CLUB OF CALOUNDRA