www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Siege of TobrukPrint Page Print this page

29-November-2014
29-November-2014

Photographs supplied by Sandra Brown

A stained glass window commemorates those who served in the Siege of Tobruk during World War Two.

The Siege of Tobruk was a confrontation that lasted 241 days between Axis and Allied forces in North Africa during the Western Desert Campaign of World War Two. The siege started on 10 April 1941, when Tobruk was attacked by an Italo–German force under Lieutenant General Erwin Rommel and continued for 241 days up to 27 November 1941, when it was relieved by the Allied 8th Army during Operation Crusader.

The “Rats of Tobruk” was the name given to the soldiers of the garrison who held the Libyan port of Tobruk against the Afrika Corps during the Siege. 

The garrison, commanded by Lieutenant General Leslie Morshead, consisted of the 9th Australian Division (20th, 24th, and 26th Brigades), the 18th Brigade of the 7th Australian Division, four regiments of British artillery and some Indian troops.

Location

Address:Forest & Mackenzie Streets, St John`s Presbyterian Church, Bendigo, 3550
State:VIC
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -36.758876
Long: 144.275054
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Window
Monument Theme:Conflict
Sub-Theme:WW2
Actual Event STart Date:11-April-1941
Actual Event End Date:27-November-1941

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Sunday 12th April, 1987
Front Inscription
THE RATS OF TOBRUK ASSOCIATION
NO SURRENDER


TO THE GLORY OF GOD AND TO THE MEMORY OF THOSE WHO SERVED IN THE SIEGE OF TOBRUK 
PRAY THE PEACE AND FREEDOM THEY DEFENDED, BE REFLECTED IN THE LIGHT OF THE WORLD

(Plaque)
"THE RATS OF TOBRUK"  WAS A NAME GIVEN TO THE DEFENDERS IN THE HISTORIC SIEGE OF TOBRUK

THE SIEGE LASTED FOR EIGHT MONTHS (FROM APRIL 1941 TO DECEMBER 1941).  THE LONGEST IN BRITISH HISTORY.

AGAINST GREAT HARDSHIP AND SACRIFICE, AND SUPPLIED ONLY BY SEA, THIS EPIC WAS HAILED BY MANY AS THE TURNING POINT IN THE FIGHT FOR PEACE AND FREEDOM IN WORLD WAR 2.

Dedicated by the Rev. John E Webster  B. A.,  L. Th. on 12th April 1987.

 
Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design