Battle of the Coral SeaPrint Page
An anchor commemorates the 50th anniversary of the Battle of the Coral Sea in 1942 during World War Two. Townsville was the largest Allied operational base in the South West Pacific during World War Two and played an important support role in the Battle of the Coral Sea.
The Battle of the Coral Sea, fought during the 3rd and 8th of May 1942, was a major naval battle in the Pacific Theatre of World War Two between the Imperial Japanese Navy and Allied naval and air forces from the United States and Australia. The battle was the first action in which aircraft carriers engaged each other, as well as the first in which neither side's ships sighted or fired directly upon the other.
Monument characteristics :
A white painted concrete plinth upon which is mounted an anchor from the USS Coral Sea. This was presented to Townsville in 1992 by the United States Navy in commemoration of the 50th anniversary of the Battle of the Coral Sea. There are two brass plaques, one explaining the dedication, the other in memorium of the Port of Townsville during two world wars.
|Address:||Sir Leslie Thiess Drive, Townsville, 4810|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -19.256194|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Event STart Date:||03-May-1942|
|Actual Event End Date:||09-May-1942|
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||1992|
USS CORAL SEA ANCHOR
THIS ANCHOR IS FROM THE USS CORAL SEA ICV431 A MIDWAY CLASS AIRCRAFT CARRIER IN SERVICE FROM 1947 TO 1990. THE SHIP WAS NAMED TO COMMEMORATE THE BATTLE OF THE CORAL SEA, 3-9 MAY 1942. THE ANCHOR IS A GIFT FROM THE UNITED STATES NAVY TO THE CITY OF TOWNSVILLE TO MARK THE 50TH ANNIVERSARY OF THE BATTLE OF THE CORAL SEA.
IT WAS PRESENTED OM 8 MAY 1992 TO ALDERMAN TONY MOONEY, MAYOR OF TOWNSVILLE BY VICE ADMIRAL STANLEY R. ARTHUR, COMMANDER OF THE US 7TH FLEET AND A FORMER COMMANDER OF USS CORAL SEA.
ERECTED BY THE TOWNSVILLE CITY COUNCIL AND THE TOWNSVILLE PORT AUTHORITY
PORT OF TOWNSVILLE
THIS PLAQUE ERECTED BY TOWNSVILLE PORT AUTHORITY COMMEMORATES THE ROLE OF THE PORT OF TOWNVILLE IN THE DEFENCE OF AUSTRALIA DURING THE FIRST AND SECOND WORLD WARS.
DURING WWI, THE TOWNSVILLE BASED KENNEDY REGIMENT, AUSTRALIAN GARRISON ARTILLERY AND LIGHT HORSE REGIMENT WERE MOBILISED AND EMBARKED IN THE SS “KANOWNA” ON 8 AUGUST 1914, BOUND FOR THURSDAY ISLAND TO REINFORCE THE DEFENCE FORCES AT THE NORTHERN TIP OF AUSTRALIA.
DURING WWII, THE PORT OF TOWNSVILLE WAS ESTABLISHED AS AUSTRALIA’S PRINCIPAL FORWARD BASE. THE PORT WAS PRIMARILY RESPONSIBLE FOR THE TRANSIT OF WAR MATERIALS, EQUIPMENT AND BULK SUPPLIES TO THE ALLIED FORCES IN THE PACIFIC WAR. THE PORT’S SECONDARY ROLE WAS TO PRESERVE, FOSTER AND EFFECTIVELY HANDLE COMMERCIAL TRADE FROM THE NORTH QUEENSLAND REGION.
THE PORT WAS FULLY UTILISED DURING THE WAR YEARS WITH ALL SEVEN WORKING BERTHS OCCUPIED BY SHIPS MOORED ABREAST, WHILST OTHER SHIPS AWAITED AT ANCHOR IN CLEVELAND BAY. THE LARGEST ASSEMBLY OF SHIPPING EVER SEEN IN THE PORT OF TOWNSVILLE WAS WHEN THERE WERE SIXTY-FOUR (64) VESSELS WAITING IN CLEVELAND BAY AND A FURTHER EIGHTEEN (18) SHIPS BEING WORKED IN THE PORT.
DURING WWII, THE FOLLOWING VOLUMES OF WAR MATERIALS WERE HANDLED THROUGH THE PORT OF TOWNSVILLE:
1942 1943 1944
499500 (TONS) 1155931 (TONS) &nbs