2nd / 2nd Australian Commando Squadron LawnPrint Page
A lawned area commemorates members of the 2nd / 2nd Commando Squadron who died in service or were killed in action during World War Two.
Originally named the No 2 Independent Company, mainly made up of Western Australians, was formed in Victoria in July 1941. After training at Wilson`s Promontory and spending a brief period in Katherine the company was sent to Timor in December 1941. It served with great distinction throughout 1942 in East Timor waging a successful guerrilla campaign against a far superior Japanese force.
On its return to Australia in December 1942 the unit was reformed and as the 2/2nd Commando Squadron served again with distinction in New Guinea in 1943/44 eventually seeing out the war in New Britain in 1945.
|Address:||Lovekin Drive & Broadwalk, Kings Park, 6005|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -31.964312|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Event STart Date:||03-September-1939|
|Actual Event End Date:||15-August-1945|
This Grassed Area Is
Maintained By Members
Of The 2/2 Australian
In Tribute To
Please Treat It