St. Andrew`s LychgatePrint Page
The lychgate is dedicated to those of the Parish of Lutwyche who died in service or were killed in action during World War One.
The Lychgate was designed in 1924 by Francis Joseph Mayer, and was restored in 2009 by the generous gift of Ralph and Dianne Mayer in memory of Dianne’s brother, John Richard James and rededicated 28th June 2009.
The Lychgate was dedicated by Dr Sharp, Archbishop of Brisbane, on the 6th July 1924 in memory of members of the parish (48 in all) who had fallen in World War One. The Archbishop remarked that the entrance to many churches especially in England had been a Lychgate. When the body was brought to a church for burial, it lay for a little while beneath the shelter of the lychgate roof while the opening part of the burial service was said. It was a temporary resting place for the tired bodies before they were put in their final resting place. The bodies of the beloved dead of whom the lychgate commemorated, lay in the fields of Gallipoli, Flanders and France. By the power of imagination they would be able to associate the Lychgate with the resting places of their dear dead.
The Brisbane Courier, 7th July 1924.
|Address:||673 Lutwyche Road, St. Andrew`s Anglican Church, Lutwyche, 4030|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -27.416717|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Event STart Date:||04-August-1914|
|Actual Event End Date:||28-June-1919|
|Monument Designer:||Francis Joseph Mayer|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Sunday 6th July, 1924|
To the Glory of God
And In Honour Of Those Of The
PARISH of LUTWYCHE
Who Gave Up Their Lives
For the Empire
In the Great War
1914 - 1918
[ Names ]