Beersheba Avenue of HonourPrint Page
In 1920, fourteen Washington Palms were planted along Alexandra Parade to commemorate the Australian Light Horse troopers who died in service or were killed in action at the Battle of Beersheba on 31 October 1917. A plaque was unveiled in 1995 remembering two local men who were members of the 4th Australian Light Horse Regiment, Walter Kinghorn and Edgar Womersley.
The Battle of Beersheba took place as part of the Sinai and Palestine campaign during World War One. The charge of the Australian 4th Light Horse Brigade, which covered some 6 kilometres to overrun and capture the last remaining Ottoman trenches, and secured the surviving wells at Beersheba.
|Address:||Alexandra Parade & Lonsdale Street, Hamilton, 3300|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -37.740053|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Monument Type:||Avenue of Honour|
|Actual Event STart Date:||31-October-1917|
|Actual Event End Date:||31-October-1917|
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||1920|
Australian Light Horse
31st October 1917
[ Names ]
These palm trees commemorate the Hamilton men of the 4th Light Horse Regt. in the charge at Beer-Sheba
October 31st, 1917