St Luke`s Church War ShrinePrint Page
An honour roll commemorates the members of St Lukes Church who died in service or were killed in action in World War One.
The unveiling of the war shrine in the memory of the heroic soldiers who were members of St. Luke's Church, Campbell Town. was performed on Sunday evening in that church, the service being conducted by the rector, Rev. E. Gordon. who based his remarks on the words, "Greater love Ihth no man than this, that he lay down his life for his friends.' The shrine was unveiled by Major Henry Foster, who was supported by Privates R. Williams, J. Robinson, and G. Kirby returned soldiers, and Captains J. D. Foster and H. J. Smith.
The shrine is constructed of Tasmanian fumed hardwood, and is of simple design, the centre panel containing a Cross of burnished copper, with the inscription between the upper arms the of cross, "Greater love hath no man than this," and at the bottom the words, "To the heroic dead.' The two wings contain the names of members of St. Luke's Church who have made the supreme sacrifice.
Examiner (Launceston), 8th July 1921.
|Address:||Midland Highway, St Lukes Anglican Church, Campbell Town, 7210|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -41.9258243|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Monument Type:||Honour Roll|
|Actual Event STart Date:||04-August-1914|
|Actual Event End Date:||28-June-1919|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Sunday 7th July, 1918|
For God, King & Country
Greater love hath no man than this.
The Heroic Dead
[ Names ]
Note : the “Tasmanian War Memorials Data Base” , compiled by Fred Thornett which is located at the State Library of Tasmania, contains a comprehensive listing of the names on this monument.