Soldiers` ChapelPrint Page
Soldiers` Chapel commemorates the Anglican members of the Australian Imperial Force of Western Australia who fought and died in World War One.
When the St Georges Cathedral was built, there was insufficient money to build the ‘Chapter House’ as was intended in the original plans. Archbishop Riley and the Chapter decided to use the space as a memorial to those who fought in the First World War. Funds were finally in hand at the beginning of 1923 and the chapel was consecrated later that year. The Chapel is built of Donnybrook stone and brick.
The Anglican Church yesterday paid a reverent tribute to those of her sons who fell in the Great War by consecrating to the service of God and to their memory the new Soldiers' Memorial Chapel at the north-east corner of St. George's Cathedral. His Excellency the Governor (Sir Francis Newdegate) was present, and, following upon the dedication, unveiled a memorial tablet which has been placed on the Chapel wall and which bears the following inscription:— 'This chapel is erected to the glory of God and in everlasting honour to the Anglican members of the Australian Imperial Force from this State who fought and fell in the Great War. 1914-18.'
The West Australian (Perth), 8th October 1923.
|Address:||Cathedral Avenue, St. Georges Cathedral, Perth, 6000|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -31.955712|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Sunday 7th October, 1923|
This chapel is erected to the glory of God and in everlasting honour to the Anglican members of the Australian Imperial Force from this State who fought and fell in the Great War.