Wesley Church Memorial Pulpit & Honour RollPrint Page
A memorial pulpit and honour roll commemorates the service of members of the congregation of Wesley Chapel who had served in World War One.
On 28 September 1919, a memorial pulpit commemorating the service of members of the congregation of Wesley Chapel who had served in World War One was unveiled by Private J. P. Woods, V.C. in the 'new church'. The engraving on the Honour Roll was by Cumpston's Engraving Works, 918 Hay Street, Perth. The memorial pulpit was transferred to the Wesley Church (1883), when the 'new church' was demolished circa 1945.
An impressive ceremony took place in the Guildford Methodist Church on Sunday afternoon, when a memorial pulpit, raised to the memory of adherents of the church who fell in the great war, was unveiled by Private Woods, V.C. His Excellency the Governor (Sir William Ellison-Macartney) attended to take part in the ceremony, and was accompanied by Captain North. The unveiling was then performed by Private Woods, the pulpit being a chaste example of ecclesiastical furniture in polished jarrah, with an engraved brass tablet bearing the names of eleven adherents of the church who had fallen in the war. Wreaths were placed on the pulpit by children of men who had given their lives and by the Red Cross Society, and after the president of the conference had congratulated the Guildford circuit on being the first church to provide a memorial to the fallen, the service closed, with the National Anthem.
Western Mail (Perth), 2nd October 1919.
|Address:||91 James Street, Wesley Church, Guildford, 6055|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -31.899563|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Monument Type:||Honour Roll|
|Actual Event STart Date:||04-August-1914|
|Actual Event End Date:||28-June-1919|
|Monument Manufacturer:||Cumpston`s Engraving Works, 918 Hay Street, Perth|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Sunday 28th September, 1919|