St Aidans World War One MemorialPrint Page
The Memorial Window, commemorating 16 men of the church who died in service or were killed in action in World War One, was installed in 1920. It remained in its original situation in the south end wall until re-located to the east wall in the early 1980s, when the timber Honour Boards commemorating both World Wars were removed from the Church.
The window was designed by George Pitt-Morrison (1861-1946), Curator of the Western Australian Art Gallery, who was Session Clerk at Claremont Presbyterian Church. He described his proposed design and its symbolism as follows: At the foot is inscribed the names of the sixteen members who died (1914-1918). Above this inscription are the Greek letters “alpha and Omega”, symbolical of JESUS CHRIST. Over these symbols is the representation of a rough, craggy mountain top, symbolical of difficulties to be overcome, surmounted by dark and lowering clouds, from which burst forth the Sun in a radiance of glory. In the midst of this glory is depicted “STEPHANOS” the victor’s laurel crown, above which is inscribed “To Him who overcometh”. Above this design is placed the “BURNING BUSH” the symbol of the Presbyterian Church, and at the apex is placed the “BRIGHT AND MORNING STAR”. Minor changes were made to the proposed design, the inscription being altered to read ‘To Him that overcometh’, and a second inscription was included, ‘Nec Consumebatur Tamen’, beneath the burning bush.
|Address:||Princess & Chester Roads, St Aidans Uniting Church , Claremont, 6010|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -31.986578|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Event STart Date:||04-August-1914|
|Actual Event End Date:||28-June-1919|
|Monument Designer:||George Pitt Morrison (Perth, WA)|
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||1920|