St Paul`s War Memorial AlcovePrint Page
The Memorial Alcove commemorates those from the parish who lost their lives in World War One. The alcove contains a large wooden crucifix and a Roll of Honour and is at the front of the building facing directly toward the Birkenhead Bridge.
The dedication of a handsome war shrine which has been built in front of St. Paul's Church, Port Adelaide, and the unveiling of an honor roll containing the names of 100 soldier members who made the supreme sacrifice while serving their King and Empire, were performed on Saturday afternoon. The dedication ceremony was carried out by the rector (Rev. M. Williams).
Engraved in stone on one side of the figure of the crucifixion, he said was the year 1914, indicating when England, on Aug 4, on a question of national honor, declared war against Germany because the latter treated a most solemn obligation as a mere scrap of paper and invaded Belgium. On the other side the year 1918 was carved to signify the memorable November 11 when the terms of the armistice were signed. At the top of the shrine on one side were the words "Lest we forget," end on the other side "Liveth for evermore."
In the absence of the Military - Commandant (Brigadier-General Antill) who was indisposed Colonel Logan unveiled the honor roll. He was attended by Lieutenant Napier.
Daily Herald (Adelaide), 24 March 1919.
|Address:||St Vincent Street & Church Place, St Pauls Church, Port Adelaide, 5015|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -34.845141|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Monument Type:||Religious Object|
|Actual Event STart Date:||04-August-1914|
|Actual Event End Date:||28-June-1919|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Saturday 22nd March, 1919|
Lest We Forget 1914
Liveth for Evermore 1918
[ Names ]