Lockleys Memorial Centre (formerly Lockleys Memorial Hall)Print Page
The Lockleys Memorial Hall was erected in memory the fallen of World War One. The hall now houses a cinema and is known as the Lockleys Memorial Centre.
The new Lockleys Soldiers' Memorial Hall was opened by Mr. T. A. Powell (Chairman of the committee) on Sunday afternoon. Representatives from all denominations attended, and the Rev. T. Vigis presided. Mr.Powell related the work done to accomplish the erection of the Memorial Hall. The movement, he said, began in 1922, when the residents decided to erect a memorial that would be useful to the district. He paid a tribute to tha generosity of the contractors, Messrs. C. and H. Curtin, who had supplied many extras free, and it was due to them, that the structure was so complete. The opening and dedication of the hall and silence room were performed solemnly, with a procession of the trustees headed by Mr. Powell, while the crowd stood in silence. The hall stands on an allotment at Mellor Park, facing the Henley Beach road. The land was given by Mr. J. W. Mellor. Photographs of fallen soldiers have been hung in the silence room and a memorial tablet has been erected. The hall will seat 500 persons. The total cost was £3,800, of which £1,600 has been raised by public subscription and various efforts. The architect was Mr. R. Graham.
The Register (Adelaide) 18th August 1925.
|Address:||362 Henley Beach Road, Lockleys, 5032|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -34.926575|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Event STart Date:||04-August-1914|
|Actual Event End Date:||28-June-1919|
|Monument Designer:||Mr. Graham (architect)|
|Monument Manufacturer:||Messrs. C & H Curtin|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Sunday 16th August, 1925|