Whittingham War MemorialPrint Page
A monument commemorates those from the district who served in World War One. The monument was originally surmounted by a German machine gun.
The ceremony of unveiling the memorial erected by the residents of the Whittingham district to those who served in the Great War was performed on 21st instant. There was a large and representative attendance including the Singleton Town Band, which played an impressive selection. Mr. F. Dorringtonn, president of the memorial committee, in opening the proceedings, congratulated Whittingham on having such a memorial. It was a great honour for the community to unveil such a monument to the brave men of Whittingham, who answered the call like true Britishers and Australians. Mrs. J. Hallett, mother of a deceased soldier, then unveiled the memorial, and "The Last Post" was sounded by a member of the band.
Mr. T. C. Cox, in presenting the German machine-gun which surmounts the monument, said it was a great honour and gave him much pleasure to make the presentation. Addresses were delivered by Mr. W. Cameron, M.L.A., Mr. J. C. Tanner (president of Patrick Plains Shire), the Mayor of Singleton (Alderman J. W. B. Waterhouse), and Rev. W. Spence. In the absence of Mr. A. C. Marshall, president of the R.S. and S.I. League, Mr. F. H. Millard (secretary), on behalf of the league thanked the people of Whittingham for the monument to his comrades. Mr. T. Conway, hon. secretary to the memorial committee, then read the history of Roy Hallet`s death, which stated that he died of wounds on 4th April, 1918. Mr. S.H. Haggarty thanked those present for their attendance, and the band for the assistance rendered by them. He also thanked the trustees for the efforts put forward by them.
The monument, which is situated at the side of the northern roadway approach to Whittingham Railway Station, is a substantial stone structure, surmounted by the captured German machine-gun, and bears a memorial tablet, on which are inscribed the names of those who answered the call from Whittingham. The monument was designed by Mr. O. Wickner, Patrick Plains Shire engineer, and was erected at a cost of about £45, although taking into account materials and labour donated the value would probably approximate £75.
Maitland Weekly Mercury (NSW), 28 March 1925.
|Address:||New England Highway & Range Road, Howe Memorial Reserve, Whittingham, 2330|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -32.604722|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Event STart Date:||04-August-1914|
|Actual Event End Date:||28-June-1919|
|Monument Designer:||Mr. O. Wickner|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Saturday 21st March, 1925|
ROLL OF HONOR
1914 - 1918
[ Names ]