Tenambit Soldiers MemorialPrint Page
The War Memorial commemorates those from the district who served in World War One.
Granite obelisk on a sandstone base with raised laurel wreath.
The unveiling ceremony of the Tenambit soldiers' monument, was carried out very successfully on Sunday last. Despite the unfavourable weather, there was a large attendance. Proceedings opened with the National Anthem. Mr. T. Hodges spoke of the Tenambit people deeming it their duty to have a monument in honour of their brave boys, who took part in the great war, and called on Lieut. Colonel Nicholson to unveil the monument. Colonel Nicholson, in a fine address, spoke in glowing terms of our brave soldiers who took part in the great war, of their successful efforts in keeping the old flag flying, and maintaining the supremacy of the mother country. Following the unveiling, the Last Post was sounded by Bugler A. Stuart.
Mr. W. Bennett, M.L.A., spoke at length of the brave acts of our boys on the battlefields, and to the success achieved by them since the great war. He thanked the committee for invitation to do honour to their soldiers. Mr. W. F. O'Hearn, M.L.A., thanked the committee for the invitation to do honour to their brave boys. He said although he was in a party in opposition to Lieut-Colonel Nicholson, he was pleased to see him present and able to unveil the monument in such a manner. He also referred to the gallant work done by the Australian soldiers over in France. Mr. A. S. Foster, Mayor of East Maitland, spoke a few words in praise of the district soldiers, and congratulated the Tenambit people on the erection of the monument. The president then handed the proceedings over to the Rev. Canon Portus, when a religious service was conducted with hymns fitting to the occasion. Ven. Archdeacon Tollis gave the address, and spoke in glowing terms of the boys, many of whom he taught in their schools. He referred to the Tenambit heights and the beautiful position of the monument. When East Maitland, Tenambit and Morpeth were united, the monument would always remain in memory of our boys. Many wreaths were placed on the stone by parents and friends. Of grey granite, the monument is of ornate design and about twenty names are inscribed.
Maitland Weekly Mercury (NSW), 28 June 1924.
|Address:||Edward Street, Tenambit Public School, Tenambit, 2323|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -32.742312|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Event STart Date:||04-August-1914|
|Actual Event End Date:||28-June-1919|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Sunday 22nd June, 1924|
1914 - 1919
Erected By The Residents
Lieut. Col. C. E. Nicholson VD
22nd June 1924