St. Thomas` North Sydney War Memorial HallPrint Page
St Thomas` North Sydney War Memorial Hall was built in 1922 as a church hall and dedicated as a memorial to the Australian, particularly local, soldiers killed in World War One.
The Governor-General, who was accompanied by Lady Forster, laid the foundatlon stone of a war memorial hall at St. Thomas' Church of England at North Sydney on Saturday afternoon. The Rev. H.N. Baker, M.A., informed his Excellency that great numbers had gone to the war from the parish including a former rector, the Rev.Horace Crotty, and 100 had died, among them the curate, the Rev. W.L. Ford who was killed at Jutland. The new hall will cost about £5500, and the memorial vestibule £500 more. About £1600 had been collected towards the cost during the past 12 months.
The Sydney Morning Herald, 22nd May 1922.
|Address:||McLaren Street, St Thomas` Anglican Church , North Sydney, 2060|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -33.83457|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Event STart Date:||04-August-1914|
|Actual Event End Date:||28-June-1919|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Saturday 20th May, 1922|