www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Memorial Clock Tower and Memorial ArchPrint Page Print this page

Clock Tower & Memorial Arch : 09-04-2014
Clock Tower & Memorial Arch : 09-04-2014

Photographs supplied by Stephen Woods / Peter F Williams / Sandra Brown / Roger Johnson

The Memorial Clock Tower and Memorial Arch were erected to commemorate those citizens of Gunnedah and District who served in World War One. The clock tower was officially opened on the 11th August, 1937. 

Gunnedah's Memorial Clock Tower was officially opened by Sir Charles Rosenthal on Wednesday morning. On arrival at the Town Hall, Sir Charles inspected the guard of honor, comprising members of Gunnedah's detachment of the 33rd Battalion, under Captain Gordon Studdy. He also inspected and chatted with members of a strong body of returned men, and renewed acquaintances with men who had been associated with him overseas during the Great War. Prior to the official opening of the Clock Tower, Sir Charles and Lady Rosenthal were extended a civic reception.
Daily Examiner (Grafton, NSW), 13 August 1937.

 

Location

Address:Conadilly & Chandos Streets, Gunnedah, 2380
State:NSW
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -30.976662
Long: 150.25155
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Clock
Monument Theme:Conflict
Sub-Theme:WW1
Actual Event STart Date:04-August-1914
Actual Event End Date:28-June-1919
Monument Designer:F.J.Bishop (Architect-clock tower)

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Saturday 26th June, 1937
Front Inscription

Plaque :
THIS CLOCK TOWER HAS BEEN ERECTED TO PERPETUATE THE MEMORY OF THOSE CITIZENS OF GUNNEDAH 
AND DISTRICT WHO SERVED WITH HIS MAJESTY`S FORCES DURING 1914-18
E•W•WESTERWELLER MAYOR

Plaque :
MUNICIPALITY OF GUNNEDAH
MEMORIAL CLOCK TOWER COMPLETED - 26TH JUNE 1937.
E.W.WESTERWELLER . MAYOR. 
P.H.STANLEY . DEPUTY MAYOR
ALDERMEN  J.G.COCK.  J.G.OGILVIE.  E.A.ICETON.
R.B.BOWEN.  J.ENKS.  J.McDONNELL.  E.GRIFFITHS
A.H.PALMER. TOWN CLERK.  F.J.BISHOP. ARCHITECT.  C.H.GREY. OVERSEER

OFFICIALLY OPENED BY  MAJOR-GENERAL THE HON. SIR CHARLES ROSENTHAL K.C.B., C.M.G., D.S.O., V.D., M.L.C.,   ON 11TH AUGUST 1937


 

Source: SKP,NRWM, MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design