St. Ambrose Memorial ChurchPrint Page
The St Ambrose Memorial Church was erected in memory of those who had lost their lives in World War One and as a thank offering for peace. The foundation stone was laid in 1920 and the church was consecrated by Bishop Long on 26 July 1922. It was dedicated after St. Ambrose, Bournemouth in recognition of the gift of £1,200 given by the church to the parish in the British Empire with the best all round war record.
The Parish of St Ambrose Bournemouth, England, desired, under certain conditions, to make a peace thanksgiving of £1250 to some town in the Dominion. The town had to have a war record, and the grounds for choice were church records and war records. For some time the town of Moosejaw, Canada, was considered the most eligible, having put in a fine record of service. Hearing of the competitor when in London, on his way to Australia from the seat of war, Bishop Long nominated Gilgandra and asked the authorities not to give their decision until Gilgandra`s war record was placed before them. When that was done it was the end of Moosejaw and all other competitors. Thanks to Bishop Long`s intervention, Gilgandra received this wonderful distinction which carries with it a great amount of pride.
The Bathurst Times (NSW), 28 July 1922.
|Address:||Wamboin & Myrtle Streets, Gilgandra, 2827|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -31.709814|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Event STart Date:||04-August-1914|
|Actual Event End Date:||28-June-1919|
|Monument Designer:||Louis Reginald Williams (architect)|
|Monument Manufacturer:||Mr.J.D. Ryan (builder)|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Wednesday 26th July, 1922|
TO THE GLORY OF GOD
NOV.22nd — 1920
THIS FOUNDATION STONE WAS LAID BY HIS EXCELLENCY
SIR WALTER DAVIDSON K.C.M.G.
GOVERNOR OF NEW SOUTH WALES,
AND BLESSED BY THE LORD BISHOP OF BATHURST,
GEORGE MERRICK LONG, C.B.E., D.D., L.L.D.
A MEMORIAL TO THE FALLEN AND A THANK OFFERING FOR PEACE.
(On cross in front of church)
IN MEMORY OF THOSE
WHO DIED IN WORLD WAR 1