Returned Services League Memorial StonePrint Page Print this page


Photographs supplied by Peter F Williams

The Returned Services League Memorial Stone is the foundation stone of the former North Shore Line War Memorial Hall and commemorates those who died in service or were killed in action during World War One. 

The foundation-stone of the North Shore Line War Memorial Hall was laid by Major General C. F. Cox, at Chatswood, on Saturday. Major F. Guy Griffiths, president of the local branch of the Returned Soldiers' League, apologised for the absence of the Governor, who was to have performed the ceremony. His Excellency's medical advisers, explained Major Griffiths, had ordered him to rest, and General Cox had consented to take his place. Major Griffiths read a list of 148 names of men from the district who had fallen in the war. General Cox, after laying the stone, said that every district ought to perpetuate the memory of the men who fell in a just cause. Those who went away were pure volunteers, and they had saved the country.
The Sydney Morning Herald (NSW), 19 September 1921.


Address:446 Victoria Street, Entrance, Chatswood RSL, Chatswood , 2067
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -33.797241
Long: 151.180081
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Conflict
Actual Event STart Date:04-August-1914
Actual Event End Date:28-June-1919


Actual Monument Dedication Date:Saturday 17th September, 1921
Front Inscription

            In MEMORY Of
The North Shore Line Who Gave Their Lives
    In The Great War 1914-1918.
      This Stone Was Laid By
MAJ-GEN C F COX, C.B., C.M.G., D.S.O., V.D.
        September 17th 1921.

Source: NRWM, MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design