www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Avenue of HonourPrint Page Print this page

The Avenue of Honour was planted in memory of those from the district who served in World War One.  Only two of the 20 original trees remain outside the school along Sebastopol-Smythesdale Road.  

The Avenue of Honour was restored and re-dedicated on its centenary on August 18, 2018, after the Ross Creek History Group received Victorian Government and Victorian Veterans Council funding. A sign for the avenue and the 20 men was also unveiled. 

A gathering of the residents of Ross' Creek and district assembled on Saturday last to plant an avenue of honour of the soldiers who have enlisted from the district. The matter has been taken up enthusiastically and a committee formed with Mr R. Hally as chairman and Mr J. Tudor, secretary. The officers committee had worked enthusiastically and on Saturday everything was ready for the planting, which took place under very pleasant conditions. Mr Hally thanked the people for the assistance they had given, and called on Cr Dickinson declare the avenue open. Cr Dickinson congratulated the people of the district for having initiated the avenue, which would be a lasting monument to the brave men who had left the district to fight for King and Empire. Cr D McMenamin (Grenville) and Cr W. H. Wallis (Sebastopol) also delivered appropriate addresses. The proceedings enlivened by a selection of music by the boy's band from St Joseph's Home, Sebastopol, whose presence was much appreciated. Afternoon tea was provided by the ladies and a most interesting time was spent.
The Ballarat Courier (Vic), 24 August 1918

 

Location

Address:651 Sebastopol - Smythesdale Road, Woady Yallock Primary School, Ross Creek, 3351
State:VIC
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -37.633645
Long: 143.757034
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Avenue of Honour
Monument Theme:Conflict
Sub-Theme:WW1
Actual Event STart Date:04-August-1914
Actual Event End Date:28-June-1919

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Saturday 17th August, 1918
Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design