Sandringham Avenue of Honour PlaquesPrint Page
A display of plaques which were located on the Sandringham Avenue of Honour commemorates those from the district who served in World War One. The Avenues of Honour at Sandringham and Black Rock were planted on the 18th August 1917.
There was a large gathering at Sandringham last Saturday afternoon when the planting of the Avenue of Honour was performed. The Prime Minister, Mr. W. Hughes, planted the first tree and Mr. O.L. Snowball M.L.A , the second tree, after which relatives and friends continued the ceremony until about 150 trees were planted. The Prime Minister congratulated
the district on the splendid manner in which they proposed to commemorate those who had gone to fight for their liberty. Sandringham had done well in regard to its sons, who had gone forth at the call of the Empire, and their record would compare favourably with any other district throughout Australia.
The ceremony at Black Rock was delayed until the arrival of a number of leading citizens from the Sandringham function. Rain, however, commenced to fall as Mr. Snowball, M.L.A started to plant the first tree, the large gathering of residents remained to the finish. Mr. Snowball, M.L.A., referred in one of his characteristic speeches to the splendid patriotism shown by the young men of the district, and expressed the -hope that the planting of the avenues of honour would unite the people together with greater ideals of service and sacrifice for one another.
Altogether 13 trees were planted, and it was announced that the ceremony would be continued on both sides of Bluff road until the list of the volunteers was exhausted.
Brighton Southern Cross (Vic), 25 August 1917.
|Address:||489 Balcombe Road, Beaumaris RSL , Beaumaris, 3193|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -37.977036|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Event STart Date:||04-August-1914|
|Actual Event End Date:||28-June-1919|
1914 • LEST WE FORGET • 1918
COPPER PLAQUE DISPLAY
AFTER W.W.1. THE THEN SANDRINGHAM COUNCIL ESABLISHED AVENUES OF HONOUR BETWEEN SANDRINGHAM AND BLACK ROCK WITH THE PLANTING OF HUNDREDS OF TREES - NORFOLK PINES IN BEACH ROAD AND FLOWERING GUMS IN BAY ROAD, FERNHILL ROAD AND BLUFF ROAD.
A TREE WAS ACTUALLY PLANTED FOR EACH PERSON WHO LIVED LOCALLY AND VOLUNTEERED AND SERVED ABROAD IN THE ROYAL AUSTRALAIN NAVY OR THE AUSTRALIAN IMPERIAL FORCE (A.I.F.) DURING THE GREAT WAR 1914 - 1918. MANY OF THESE PERSONS WERE KILLED OR WOUNDED. TO EACH TREE AN APPROPRIATE COPPER PLAQUE WAS ATTACHED OR SET IN POSITION AT GROUND LEVEL.
AFTER MANY YEARS OF GROWTH THE SANDRINGHAM CITY COUNCIL REMOVED THE TREES FOR ROAD WIDENING PURPOSES AND ALSO AT THE TIME WHEN TRAM TRACKS WERE CLEARED FROM THE AREA. THE PLAQUES WHICH STILL EXISTED WERE RECOVERED AND DEPOSITED IN ARCHIVES ONLY TO BE FORGOTTEN UNTIL RECENTLY RE-DISCOVERED.
THESE PLAQUES WERE THEN PRESENTED TO HAMPTON AND BEAUMARIS R. & S.L. SUB BRANCHES IN EQUAL NUMBERS. OF THE 106 GIVEN TO BEAUMARIS, 93 ARE PRESENTED HERE. THE ADDITIONAL 13 WERE DAMAGED BEYOND REPAIR. HOWEVER, THE NAMES FROM THE LATTER ARE AS FOLLOWS ;
This Sub Branch is indebted to KEM Polishing, 11/310 Chesterville Road, Moorabbin, for the restoration and polishing of all the plaques in this display panel.
R.Algie President 1996.