www.monumentaustralia.org.au

St Saviour`s War MemorialPrint Page Print this page

Stained glass windows commemorate those from the parish who served in World War One.

Monument characteristics :

Two stained glass windows to the left and right of St Stephens Chapel


A crowded congregation attended at St.Saviour's Church, Glen Osmond, on Sunday afternoon, when three memorial windows were unveiled and dedicated in honour of the active service volunteers from the parish during the war. One of the three windows (that on the northern side of the edifice) represents a Christian knight in armour, anxious to leave for battle, but restrained by an angel until he is girded with the Sword of the Spirit.

The inscription on it reads, ' 'To the glory of God and the memory of , and there follows the names of seven soldiers who were killed in the fighting, and two of whom were grandsons of a former rector of the parish (the late Rev. W. H. Mudie). The other two windows, located in the porch, bear the name of 37 volunteers, and the inscription:— The Great War, 1914-1919. They fought the good fight.' The work, which was designed and executed by Clarkson's, Limited, reflects great credit on the artist (Mr. Williams).
The Register (Adelaide), 9 August 1920.

Location

Address:Portrush & Pridmore Roads, St Savior`s Anglican Church, St Stephens Chapel, Glen Osmond, 5064
State:SA
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -34.962958
Long: 138.644528
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Window
Monument Theme:Conflict
Sub-Theme:WW1
Actual Event STart Date:04-August-1914
Actual Event End Date:28-June-1919

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Sunday 8th August, 1920
Left Side Inscription

The Great War 1914-1919
[ Names ]

They fought the Good Fight

Right Side Inscription

The Great War 1914-1919
[ Names ]

They fought the Good Fight

Source: TOH, MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design