St George Greek Orthodox ChurchPrint Page
St George Greek Orthodox Church is dedicated as a war memorial in memory of Australian soldiesr of Greek origin who lost their lives in both World Wars and Australian soldiers who lost their lives in Greece during World War Two.
The idea of building a Parish Church in the Eastern Suburbs of Sydney started in early 1956. With the concerted efforts of some 100 families, the construction of the present sacred edifice was completed in early 1962. Beginning with the first Liturgy of 8th April, 1962, the Church was consecrated by Archbishop Ezekiel and dedicated as a War Memorial by the Governor of New South Wales, Sir Eric Woodward, on 24th November, 1962.
|Address:||90 - 92 Newcastle Street, Rose Bay, 2029|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -33.876733|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Saturday 24th November, 1962|
THIS PLAQUE COMMEMORATING THE DEDICATION OF THIS CHURCH AS A WAR MEMORIAL TO AUSTRALIAN SOLDIERS OF GREEK ORIGIN WHO LAID DOWN THEIR LIVES FOR AUSTRALIA AS MEMBERS OF THE ARMED FORCES OF THE COMMONWEALTH OF AUSTRALIA IN THE TWO WORLD WARS AND AUSTRALIAN SERVICEMEN WHO DIED IN GREECE DURING THE SECOND WORLD WAR WHILST MEMBERS OF THE ARMED FORCES OF THE COMMONWEALTH OF AUSTRALIA
WAS UNVEILED BY
HIS EXCELLENCY LIEUT. GENERAL SIR ERIC WOODWARD
K.C.M.G, C.B, C.B.E, D.S.O
SATURDAY 24 TH NOVEMBER 1962