No 34 SquadronPrint Page
Plaque commemorates No 34 Squadron's service to the nation since its formation in Darwin in February 1942.
Formed as a transport squadron in February 1942, No 34 Squadron was composed of an assortment of aircraft including Dragons, Ansons and Tiger Moths. Operating from remote Northern Territory airfields, No 34 Squadron continued its courier role until its disbandment in December 1942.
After Japan's surrender, No 34 Squadron evacuated Australian POWs from Singapore and commenced courier flights to Japan in support of the Allied occupation of that country. In February 1946, No 34 Squadron returned to Australia, disbanding at Richmond four months later.
No 34 Squadron was reformed in March 1948 as a VIP transport and reconnaissance Unit, principally support of the various activities undertaken at the Woomera rocket range in South Australia.
A new phase began for No 34 Squadron in July 1959 when it was tasked with providing VIP transport for Australia's leading citizens and visiting dignitaries.
|Address:||Point Cook Avenue, Canberra International Airport, 2609|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -35.302385|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||2012|
NO 34 SQUADRON
ROYAL AUSTRALIAN AIR FORCE
Formed 23rd February 1942
Parap Airfield NT
Batchelor Airfield NT
Hughes Airfield NT
Manbulloo Airfield NT
Parafield Airfield SA
RAAF Richmond NSW
Mallala Airfield SA
Post WW2 the Unit was established as a dedicated VIP Squadron , at RAAF Base Fairbairn, in July 1959.
This unit has since transported members of the Royal Family, Foreign Dignitaries, Head of State, Governors` General of Australia and politicians for the Australian Government, providing exceptional air transportation services to the highest standard, with safety and efficiency.