Garden of RemembrancePrint Page
The Garden of Remembrance was established to commemorate the wars affecting the residents of Willoughby City from the then recent memory of World War Two, back to World War One and the Boer War in South Africa at the turn of the century. Since then, the council has added commemorations for subsequent conflicts, the Malayan Emergency, the Korean War and the Vietnam War. A plaque was added to the garden in 2015 to commemorate the centenary of ANZAC.
At the far end of the garden is a plaque with a list of names, recognising the Willoughby City residents who gave their lives in these wars, and where you can find their marker in the garden. Of special note is the imported Roses of Picardy, which have be brought from the war cemeteries of France.
The Garden of Remembrance was formally dedicated on Anzac Day (25th April) 1964 to the memory of those who made the supreme sacrifice.
|Address:||69 Albert Avenue, Opposite Chatswood Oval, Chatswood, 2067|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -33.798285|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Saturday 25th April, 1964|
LEST WE FORGET
LEST WE FORGET
THIS GARDEN OF REMEMBRANCE
WAS FORMALLY DEDICATED
ANZAC DAY 25TH APRIL, 1964
TO THE MEMORY OF THOSE
WHO MADE THE SUPREME SACRIFICE
SENIOR CHAPLAIN O.COOPER
RT.REV. MNGR. T.HARRINGTON
SENIOR CHAPLAIN A.MALLYON
COMMEMORATING THE CENTENARY OF
THE ANZACS HEROISM
"They went with songs to the battle, they were young,
Straight of limb, true of eye, steady and aglow."
RESPECTFULLY REMEMBERED BY THE
MEMBERS OF CHATSWOOD RSL CLUB
25TH APRIL 2015
WILLOUGHBY MUNICIPAL COUNCIL
THESE ROSES OF PICARDY
WERE PLANTED JUNE 6, 1972 BY
MAYOR OF DUNKIRK - FRANCE
GARDEN OF REMEMBRANCE
In 1949 this Memorial garden was established in conjunction with the Chatswood Sub-branch of the Returned Services League, to honour those Willoughby residents who died in the Boer War, World Wars 1 & 11, Korea, Malaya and Vietnam. The special Roses of Picardy were imported from the War cemeteries of France. The land for the garden was acquired by Council between 1939 and 1940, and previously contained two brick and tile cottages called 'Milroy' and 'Ontario'.
WILLOUGHBY CITY COUNCIL
City of Diversity