Fairmile Ships PlaquePrint Page
The Fairmile Ships Plaque commemorates the Fairmile Ships of the Royal Australian Navy and all who served in them during World War Two.
A Fairmile school was established at HMAS Rushcutter on 1 June 1942. The first Australian Fairmile, ML 813, entered service at the end of that year. Originally designed in the UK for coastal anti-submarine and convoy duties, the RAN Fairmiles performed these and a variety of other functions. Their tasks included convoy escort, servicing and supporting advancing troops, landing and recovering commandos and coastwatchers, rescuing civilians from enemy occupied territories, and invasion escort.
|Address:||Garden Island Naval Base, Garden Island, 2011|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -33.85914|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||2009|
FAIRMILE SHIPS OF THE ROYAL NAVY
In honour of all who served in Fairmiles,
Harbour Defence Motor Launches, and other
small vessels during the Second World War in
Australian waters and the Soth-West pacific Area
ML813 was the first of 35 Fairmiles built in Australia.
These ships were known by their Numbers, not Names.
Dedicated by Fairmile Association