30 Squadron R.A.A.F Beaufighters Print Page
A monument commemorates those who served with 30 Squadron between 1942 and 1956.
No. 30 (City of Sale) Squadron was raised in 1942 as a long-range fighter unit, the squadron saw action in the Second World War, serving in the South West Pacific Area against the Japanese and operating mainly in the ground attack and anti-shipping roles from bases in New Guinea and the Netherlands East Indies.
After the war, No. 30 Squadron was re-formed at RAAF Base Richmond as No. 30 (Target Towing) Squadron on 3 March 1948 through the redesignation of the Target Towing and Special Duties Squadron, which had been formed from a single flight at Richmond in September 1947. In this role the squadron supported Army, Air Force and Navy training exercises and research conducted by the CSIRO, operating a variety of aircraft including Beaufighters, Beauforts, Dakotas, Wirraways, Ansons and Mustangs. It was moved around a few times during this period, firstly to Schofields, New South Wales, RAAF Base Fairbairn and then back to Richmond. The squadron was again disbanded on 21 March 1956.
|Address:||North Fort Road, North Fort Artillery Museum , Manly, 2095|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -33.818889|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
30 SQUADRON R.A.A.F BEAUFIGHTERS
AREA OF WARTIME OPERATIONS
(map of area)
1942 - 1956
BOHLE RIVER LABUAN
PORT MORESBY TARAKAN
MILNE BAY SANGA-SANGA
DEDICATED TO THE MEMORY
OF ALL WHO SERVED &
THOSE WHO DID NOT RETURN