North Sydney ANZAC Memorial ClubPrint Page
North Sydney ANZAC Memorial Club was dedicated in memory of those who served in World War One and World War Two.
Prior to the establishment of the building committee, a Soldiers’ Club was started in 1918 and their meetings were held in a number of North Sydney buildings such as the Crows Nest School of Arts, various Church Halls and the Drill Hall in Carlow Street. It was not until 1936 that the North Sydney Anzac Memorial Club was so named under the guidance of Mr. Victor Duncan. A public meeting was called in 1941 inviting all members of returned service organisations to attend to discuss the building of a Memorial Hall dedicated to World War One and World War Two. This committee was instrumental in the design, furnishing and official opening of the new building. The Anzac Memorial Club's foundation stone was laid on November 22, 1941 by the Mayor of North Sydney, Ald. J. Cramer, representing the citizens of North Sydney and Major-General Fewtrell representing the soldiers.
In May 2014, the old ANZAC Club in Cammeray was approved for demolition; in its place will go a new primary school for the children of North Sydney.
The ANZAC Club is a commemoration of the sacrifices of the Australian and New Zealand Army Corps (ANZAC) World Wars I and II. However the ANZAC Club’s popularity has diminished in the last century, thus resulting in Council’s decision to terminate the club’s lease early on 31 December 2010 after a public meeting took place “to determine the best use for the value of the site,” according to Council’s project information page.
Council determined a new primary school was needed to combat the rising enrolment numbers in North Sydney schools. Demolition of the old ANZAC Club and construction of the new school is scheduled to take place sometime in 2016.
|Address:||Anzac Avenue, Cammeray, 2062|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -33.826544|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Saturday 22nd November, 1941|
ANZAC MEMORIAL CLUB