Yungaburra Memorial Park & Gate Print Page
The Yungaburra Memorial Park is dedicated to those who served in both World Wars. The gate to the park was restored in 2011.
The gate and park were originally erected in memory of those who served in World War One. The exact date of construction of the Gate is unknown. A Trust was established to oversee the project which included the construction of the Memorial Gate and development of the park as a sport and recreation facility.
For many years the gate served as the main entrance to the park but eventually it proved to be a bit limiting for heavy vehicles accessing the park and for many years it has not been used as an access and fell into disrepair. As a result of renewed interest in the Gate kindled by the efforts of a group of local residents, Council decided to apply for funding to restore the gate and to add an appropriate sculpture and landscaping to provide a fitting memorial for those people from this area who have served our country in times of war.
At a meeting in May 1930, a motion was put forward by the Yungaburra Branch of the C.W.A that money held by the School of Arts Committee be devoted to the creation of a Memorial Park with the erection of ornamental gates bearing the names and enlistments and casualties from the Yungaburra, Barrine, Kulara and Peeramon districts.
Cairns Post, 6th May 1930.
|Address:||Barrine Road, Yungaburra, 4884|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -17.26847|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||Circa 1930|
1914 - 1918
AS WE THAT