www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Woombye War MemorialPrint Page Print this page

Woombye War Memorial
Woombye War Memorial

Photographs supplied by Diane Watson

Woombye War Memorial commemorates Australian servicemen and women who have served in all wars and conflicts. The memorial was originally erected to commemorate the fallen and returned of World War One. Additional plaques were added to the memorial at a later date to commemorate the fallen and returned of World War Two. The base was replastered and all the plaques were removed prior to Anzac Day 1994, being replaced by dark marble plaques with dark lettering. At the same time a new plaque was added honouring those who served in all campaigns since 1945.

The monument to the fallen in the Great War at Woombye was unveiled on the 18th June 1925 by the Governor, Sir Matthew Nathan.  Messrs. J. T. Wilson, headmaster of the Woombye School, and P. M Frawley, head master of the Palmwoods School, received his Excellency with the scholars as a guard of honour. The scholars sang the National Anthem. Returned soldiers were waiting for his Excellency within the memorial enclosure.
The Brisbane Courier, 19th June 1925.

Location

Address:Blackall Street, Memorial Park, Woombye, 4559
State:QLD
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -26.660635
Long: 152.963883
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Monument
Monument Theme:Conflict
Sub-Theme:Multiple
Monument Manufacturer:A. L. Petrie & Sons (Toowong, QLD)

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Thursday 18th June, 1925
Front Inscription

      THEY
 DIED THAT WE
  MIGHT LIVE
    (Names)
SECOND WORLD WAR
KILLED IN ACTION

   (Names)

Source: MIV,SKP,QWMR, MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design